Eat Healthfully While On The Road
As you set out on your travels this summer, remember that convenience stores and fast food restaurants aren’t your only options when you’re on the road.
- Before you take off, have a meal that combines protein and carbs to stay full longer and get you to your destination without having to stop to eat.
- Bring healthy non-perishable snacks like natural energy bars, fruits that travel well, such as apples, bananas and pears, and dried fruit with nuts. Or bring home-popped popcorn instead of fattening chips and snack mixes.
- Fill a cooler with homemade sandwiches, fresh vegetables and fruits, cheeses and healthy drinks (no soda!) for a healthy, balanced meal to enjoy at a roadside park.
- Stop at a supermarket or deli instead of a fast-food restaurant.
- Don’t overdo it on snacking, especially on long road trips. Put your snacks in small baggies to split them into proper portions.
- Don’t be so strict that you miss out on enjoying the local cuisine. Just control your portions, and enjoy those foods that you can’t get at home!
Share your thoughts
You must be logged in to post a comment.