As you set out on your travels this summer, remember that convenience stores and fast food restaurants aren’t your only options when you’re on the road.
- Before you take off, have a meal that combines protein and carbs to stay full longer and get you to your destination without having to stop to eat.
- Bring healthy non-perishable snacks like natural energy bars, fruits that travel well, such as apples, bananas and pears, and dried fruit with nuts. Or bring home-popped popcorn instead of fattening chips and snack mixes.
- Fill a cooler with homemade sandwiches, fresh vegetables and fruits, cheeses and healthy drinks (no soda!) for a healthy, balanced meal to enjoy at a roadside park.
- Stop at a supermarket or deli instead of a fast-food restaurant.
- Don’t overdo it on snacking, especially on long road trips. Put your snacks in small baggies to split them into proper portions.
- Don’t be so strict that you miss out on enjoying the local cuisine. Just control your portions, and enjoy those foods that you can’t get at home!