A Cup Of Kindness
During the holiday season, we’re filled with goodwill toward all as we busily buy gifts for the important people in our lives. However, we’re often at a loss when it comes to older family members and friends. Here are some fun and practical gift ideas.
- Create a coupon book decorated with photos of things you and your family can do together, such as a trip to the mall, a museum or a country fair, including lunch, “High Tea” or a picnic. An offer of a couple of hours of house or yard work, and grocery and pharmacy gift cards with an offer to take them shopping are also great gifts.
- A homemade calendar that highlights special dates (birthdays, anniversaries, holidays) with pictures of the events and, of course, the promise to include them in any celebration will keep you in their thoughts all year long.
- A blank journal or scrapbook kit will encourage someone to share their memories with you and others, especially if it comes with an offer to help from time to time. This is a wonderful project for grandchildren.
- “Nothin’ says lovinʼ like something from the oven,” so consider homemade food. Whether it’s cookies, preserves, soups, casseroles, or a decorative wicker basket filled with favorite snacks, it’s sure to be a hit.
- Pens, assorted greeting cards, stationery and stamps, or a pre-paid phone card along with a desk-quality address book make lovely and useful gifts.
- A shower tote or decorative basket filled with scented soaps, bath gels, moisturizers and other toiletries is bound to bring a smile to someone’s face.
- By the same token, soap on a rope with a flannel night shirt and some warm and colorful socks will help keep them comfy and cozy.
- A magnifying glass and a jigsaw puzzle or a large print deck of cards along with some audio books helps to while away the time.
- A small flashlight and a large-display digital clock for the nightstand is handy and helpful.
- A decorated box for keepsakes is a wonderful way for your loved one to preserve and share their memories.
These are just a few ideas; the most important gift you and your family can give is your time and company. Our older loved ones are a precious resource of wisdom, history, humor and patience made more perfect with age. So share a cup of kindness – you’ll find you receive much more than you give.
Wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday and a new year filled with Love, laughter and a myriad of marvelous memories. In peace and gratitude from our family to yours, The Staff and Care Givers of Your Own Home.
For more information on senior care, call themat 302-478-708 or visit www.yourownhomecare.com.
Share your thoughts
You must be logged in to post a comment.